Summer Language Course
Classes in German as a foreign language
This intensive summer course offers both introductory and advanced classes in German language and culture. All classes are taught by experienced German teachers.
Based on an initial placement test, students are divided into small level groups (beginner, intermediate and advanced) of about 12-16 participants. There are six 45-minute lessons per day, Monday through Friday. The course concludes with a final exam, and participants receive a certificate.
Beyond the classroom, summer-course students enjoy a variety of extracurricular activities together. In 2020, the following activities are included:
- German "Kaffeeklatsch" (afternoon get-together with coffee and cake)
- Cross-cultural workshop
- Guided tour of Gengenbach and town-hall reception with the mayor
- Vineyard walking tour and wine tasting in neighboring Zell-Weierbach
- Day-long final excursion
2020 course information
Monday, September 7 - Friday, October 2, 2020
To apply to the 2020 summer language course, please use our online application system.
Registration and welcome: Monday, September 7, 2020
- 10:00 - 10:30 am: Registration
- 10:30 - 12:00 pm: Welcome session and campus tour
- 12:00 - 1:15 pm: Placement test
- 1:15 - 2:00 pm: Lunch break
- 2:30 - 4:00 pm: Enrollment for the 2020/21 winter semester
Classes start on Tuesday, September 8 2020, at 8:30 am.
Accommodations are available either in one of the student residences or in private housing. The rent is approximately € 250-300 per month. We will be glad to assist you in finding accommodation once you have filled out the application form.
More information can be found in the accommodations section of this website.
- € 520 for external participants and DAAD scholarship holders
- € 380 for Master's degree students and students from partner universities who only attend the summer language course
- € 200 for exchange students at Offenburg University
There is an additional charge for teaching materials.
€ 200 (deadline is 15 July 2020)
Please pay per bank transfer:
Recipient: Landesoberkasse Baden-Württemberg
Bank: Baden-Württembergische Bank
IBAN: DE02 6005 0101 7495 5301 02
For all payments, include "1175280003845" as reference; if you are a Master's student, please include your admission code as well.
Note that all relevant payments to the University may be made in one sum.
An administration fee of € 60 will be retained in case of cancellations up to July 15.
No refunds can be given for cancellations after July 15.
For exceptions and further details, please see the fees regulations.
Dates and deadlines 2020
Registration and payment deadline: July 15, 2020
Beginning of summer course: September 7, 2020
Final exam date: October 1, 2020
Please note that, as a general rule, it is not possible to join the summer language course belatedly, i.e. after the start date. The final exam date, too, is binding, i.e. the exam cannot be taken at an earlier or later time.